ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 103

East Sussex County Hall

The original County Hall was located in the High Street in Lewes. The Council moved to Pelham House in Lewes in 1938 and then it moved on to St Annes Crescent in Lewes in 1968. The new building, which was designed by Jack Catchpole with sculpture ...

County Hall, Glenfield

Originally meetings of Leicestershire County Council were held at the Assembly Rooms in Hotel Street, Leicester while County Offices were established at No.1 Grey Friars in Leicester in 1936. A new building, which was designed by the in-house arc ...

County Hall, Hertford

The County Hall is a municipal building complex in Hertford, Hertfordshire, that is the seat of Hertfordshire County Council. It is a Grade II* listed building.

County Offices, Lincoln

In the late 19th century and early 20th century meetings of Lindsey County Council were held at County Hall, Lincoln Castle. In 1924 Lindsey district Council commissioned a new building, which laid the front of the house, known as the House of Ne ...

County Hall, Maidstone

The building, which was designed by Sir Robert Smirke in the Greek Revival style, was completed in 1824. It was initially used as a facility for dispensing justice but, following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which establis ...

County Hall, Morpeth

County Hall is a municipal building in Morpeth, Northumberland. It is the offices and meeting place of Northumberland County Council. The current building was completed in April 1981, after the county hall was moved from the old county hall in Ne ...

County Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne

Originally the Moot Hall in Newcastle upon Tyne was used as the county facility for dispensing justice but, following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county councils in every county, it also became necessary ...

County Hall, Newport, Isle of Wight

Following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county councils in every county, it became necessary to find offices for the Isle of Wight County Council. Premises were acquired in High Street, Newport. A new buil ...

County Hall, Northampton

The building is an 18th-century house which was rebuilt to a design by James Milne in 1845. Following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county councils in every county, it became the meeting place of Northampt ...

County Hall, Norwich

Originally meetings of Norfolk County Council had taken place in the Shirehall in Market Avenue. By the 1960s the County Council were seeking a larger facility and identified a site which was occupied by a country house which had been commissione ...

County Hall, Nottinghamshire

Nottinghamshire County Hall is a large municipal building located on the south bank of the River Trent at West Bridgford in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England. It is the headquarters of Nottinghamshire County Council which is the upper tier loc ...

County Hall, Oxford

The building, which was designed by John Plowman in the Gothic Revival style, was completed in 1841. It was originally used as a facility for dispensing justice but, following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established ...

County Hall, Preston

The building, which was built in the Queen Anne revival style, opened in September 1882. It was initially used as offices to support the local judicial authorities and also accommodated the headquarters of the Lancashire Constabulary but, followi ...

Shire Hall, Reading

Berkshire County Council originally established its meeting place in the assize courts in Reading and accommodated the administrative staff and committee rooms of the County Council were in the old Shire Hall next door. However following the Loca ...

County Buildings, Stafford

In the 19th century the Shire Hall became well established as the location for judicial meetings in the county. Following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county councils in every county, there was a need to ...

Sandyford House

Sandyford House is a large development in Sandyford, Newcastle upon Tyne. It was formerly the offices and meeting place of Tyne and Wear County Council.

Shirehall, Shrewsbury

The building replaced the Old Shirehall in Market Square. The new facility, which was designed by Ralph Crowe, the County Architect, was completed in 1966. It includes an unusual ovoid-shaped council chamber. Originally established as the headqua ...

County Hall, Taunton

County Hall is a municipal building in Taunton, Somerset. It is the offices and meeting place of Somerset County Council. It is a Grade II Listed building.

County Hall, Trowbridge

In the 19th century the judicial functions of the county were discharged at Devizes Assize Court in the Summer and at Salisbury Assize Court in the Lent. Following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county coun ...

New County Hall, Truro

Originally Cornwall County Council held their meetings at the Old County Hall at Station Road in Truro. A new building was designed by Francis Kenneth Hicklin, the County Architect, and Alan Groves, his successor, in the Brutalist style in the ea ...

Taunton Shire Hall

The building was designed by William Bonython Moffatt in the Gothic style as a shire hall and completed in 1858. It was originally used as a facility for dispensing justice but, following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which ...

Shire Hall, Worcester

The building, which was designed by Charles Day and Henry Rowe in the Greek Revival style, was completed in 1835. A statue of Queen Victoria, designed by Sir Thomas Brock, was erected in front of the building in 1887. Shire Hall was originally us ...

Westminster House, Manchester

The building, which was designed by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners and built at the cost of £4.5 million £38.030.000 as of 2020, was completed in 1973. It served as the headquarters of Greater Manchester County Council from the Councils formation in ...

MoD Woodbridge

Ministry of Defence Woodbridge or MOD Woodbridge is a military installation located near the town of Woodbridge, in Suffolk, England. The site opened in 2006 and is operated by the British Army and incorporates both Rock Barracks and Woodbridge A ...

Portwey Hospital

Portwey Hospital is a former workhouse and hospital located at Weymouth, Dorset, England. Originally built in the 1830s as the Weymouth Union workhouse, it later became Portwey Hospital in the 1930s. After closing in 1987, the building was transf ...

Strand House, Winchelsea

In the 13th century, old Winchelsea was one of Englands most prosperous ports, particularly involved in the wine trade from Gascony but was lost to the sea. The new town of Winchelsea was laid out in 1283 in the form of a continental bastides tow ...

Watford General Hospital

Watford General Hospital is a 521-bed acute District General Hospital situated on Vicarage Road, Watford, Hertfordshire. Together with Hemel Hempstead Hospital and St Albans City Hospital, it is operated by West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Mormond Hill

Mormond Hill is a large hill in Aberdeenshire, Scotland not far from Fraserburgh. The villages of Strichen and New Leeds can be found at its southern foothills. It also has a small number of abandoned satellite dishes and masts on top, remnants f ...

Council Offices, Caernarfon

The building, which was designed in the Gothic style, was built as the county gaol and completed in 1869. Located to the north of the old County Hall, the site incorporates a tower that once formed part of the town walls. The building closed as a ...

County Hall, Caernarfon

The building, which was designed by John Thomas, the county surveyor, in the Neo-classical style opened as Caernarvonshire Shire Hall in 1863. It was originally used as a facility for dispensing justice, but following the implementation of the Lo ...

County Hall, Cardiff

The County Hall is the head office of Cardiff Council. Formerly the home of South Glamorgan County Council, it is located beside the disused Bute East Dock in the Atlantic Wharf area of Butetown, Cardiff.

County Hall, Carmarthen

Following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county councils in every county, Carmarthenshire County Council initially met in Llandovery and then moved to Bank House on Spilman Street in Carmarthen in 1907. The ...

County Hall, Cwmbran

Monmouthshire County Council had met the Shire Hall in Newport, from its creation in 1889. By the 1960s the county council needed more modern facilities: a new building was designed by Robert Matthew Johnson Marshall and construction started in 1 ...

Glamorgan Building

The Glamorgan Building is an Edwardian former county hall located in Cardiff, Wales. It is situated at Cathays Park on King Edward VII Avenue. Formerly the home of Glamorgan County Council and then Mid Glamorgan County Council, the building was a ...

County Hall, Llandrindod Wells

Since the early 20th century Radnorshire County Council had used facilities in the High Street at Llandrindod Wells as their "County Buildings". The county Council then moved to larger premises at the former Gwalia Hotel in Ithon Road in 1950. Fo ...

County Hall, Mold

Following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county councils in every county, Flintshire County Council established its base at the old County Hall in Chester Street in Mold. Additional facilities acquired incl ...

RNMD Milford Haven

RNMD Milford Haven is a decommissioned Royal Naval Armaments Depot located on the north shore of Milford Haven between Milford Haven and Llanstadwel in the County of Pembrokeshire, Wales. The area is known as Newton Noyes.

Pembroke Dockyard

It was founded in 1814, although not formally authorized until the Prince Regent signed the necessary Order in Council on 31 October 1815, and was known as Pater Yard until 1817. The Mayor of Pembroke had requested the change in deference to the ...

Albro Castle

Albro Castle is a former workhouse in the north of the village of St Dogmaels, Pembrokeshire, Wales. The building was Grade II* listed in 1992 as one of the least-altered workhouses in Wales. After closing as a workhouse in 1935 the buildings wer ...

Bedwellty Union Workhouse

The Bedwellty Union Workhouse was situated in Georgetown, Tredegar. It is 2.9 miles from the Nanybwtch Junction A465. The building was in existence for approximately 127 years. The workhouse building was also used as a hospital. Today, the site w ...

Ruthin Union Workhouse

It cost £6.050 at the time and was opened on 4 February 1837. The work house was upgraded in 1910, on a "square" layout with separate accommodation wings for male or female, infirm or able-bodied etc. The building radiated from a central hub. The ...

Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center

The Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center is the ninth largest federal building in the United States and the largest in the southeast. The building houses 5.000 employees for dozens of federal agencies and combines four distinct structural elements in ...

National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Marion Branch

The National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Marion Branch is a historic old soldiers home located in Marion, Indiana. The hospital, along with Marion National Cemetery were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 as a na ...

Bolling Air Force Base

Bolling Air Force Base is a United States Air Force base in Washington, D.C. In 2010 it was merged with Naval Support Facility Anacostia to form Joint Base Anacostia–Bolling.

Finley General Hospital

Finley General Hospital was a Union Army hospital which operated near Washington, D.C., during the Civil War. It operated from 1862 to 1865. The hospital was established with 1.061 bed. On December 17, 1864, was busy 755 beds.

Harewood General Hospital

Harewood General Hospital was one of several purpose-built pavilion style hospitals operating in the Washington, D.C., area during the Civil War which rendered care to Union military personnel. A purpose-built pavilion style hospital, it was in u ...

Mount Pleasant General Hospital

The hospital was located on Meridian hill, east of 14th Street NW, North of Stone General Hospital probably north of Princes Mill Road now Park Road NW. It is unclear who owns the land. There are two versions: The first version is that the land b ...

Naval Base Guam

Naval Base Guam is a strategic U.S. naval base located on Apra Harbor, Guam. In 2009, it was combined with Andersen Air Force Base, to form Joint Region Marianas, which is a Navy-controlled joint base. The ship repair facility, GUAM, was located ...

95th Evacuation Hospital

The 95th Evacuation Hospital originally constituted as the 74th Surgical Hospital 21 December 1928. It was activated at Fort Warren, Cheyenne, Wyoming, 1 June 1941. The hospital was then reorganized and re-designated as the 95th Evacuation Hospit ...

Naval Health Clinic New England

Naval Health Clinic New England is a medical clinic providing health care for the Navy that serves in the Northeast region. It is a part of Naval Station Newport. The clinic provides medical care to 70.000 beneficiaries. Despite the name, Naval H ...