ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 24

Aska, Georgia

"Aska" is a name derived from the Cherokee language meaning "winter house". A post office called Aska was established in 1900, and remained in operation until 1958. The community was located inland away from the railroad.

Atco, Georgia

Atco is a small unincorporated community on the northwestern side of Cartersville in southern Bartow County, Georgia, United States. There are numerous baseball and soccer complexes in the area, primarily along Sugar Valley and Cassville Roads, m ...

Audubon, Georgia

Audubon is an unincorporated community in Gordon County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The community lies about 10 miles northeast of the county seat at Calhoun.

Autreyville, Georgia

Autreyville was named after D. A. Autrey, a local merchant. A post office called Autreyville was established in 1893, and remained in operation until 1951. In 1900, the community had 136 inhabitants. The community once had a schoolhouse, now defunct.

Axson, Georgia

Axson is an unincorporated community in Atkinson County, Georgia, United States. The community is located on U.S. Route 82, 7.1 miles east of Pearson. Axson has a post office with ZIP code 31624.

Ayersville, Georgia

Ayersville was named after Jeremiah and Nathaniel Ayers, pioneers who arrived ca. 1810. A post office called Ayersville was established in 1874, and remained in operation until 1955. In 1900, the community had 79 inhabitants.

Babcock, Georgia

An old variant name was "Pondtown". A post office called Babcock was established in 1902, and remained in operation until 1924. The present name is after three first settlers: brothers E. V., Fred R. and Oscar H. Babcock. Babcock was incorporated ...

Bairdstown, Georgia

Bairdstown was originally called "Hurricane Branch", and under the latter name settlement was made in 1825. The present name is after one Mr. Baird, a local resident. A post office called Bairdstown was established in 1845, and remained in operat ...

Bald Mountain (Murray County, Georgia)

Bald Mountain is a summit in the U.S. state of Georgia. The elevation is 4.009 feet. Bald mountain was so named because of its treeless summit. Name option-big bald mountain.

Baldwinville, Georgia

A post office called Baldwinville was established in 1890, and remained in operation until 1907. Baldwinville was located inland, away from railroads. The community had a schoolhouse, now defunct.

Banning, Georgia

A former variant name was "Bowenville". William Bowen was the first postmaster, and gave the community its original name. A post office called Banning was established in 1883, and remained in operation until 1942.

Bannockburn, Georgia

Bannockburn is an unincorporated community in Berrien County, Georgia, United States. Former Central of Georgia railroad ran through the village. The Riverside in the city of Bannockburn was built around 1905. At the same time, Massey Felton lumb ...

Barbers, Georgia

A variant name was "Barber". The community was named after William H. Barber, a local businessman. A post office called Barber was established in 1901, and remained in operation until 1907. Besides the post office, the community had a railroad depot.

Barbour Island

Barbour Island is an island in Chatham County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The names of the island of barbers", "barbers Isle" and "island Barbours". Island Barbour, most likely, got its name from John Barber, an 18th century pioneer settler.

Barnett Shoals, Georgia

Barnett Shoals had its start as a mill town, anchored by the Star Thread Mill. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Barnett Shoals as a town in 1915. The town was officially dissolved in 1995.

Barney, Brooks County, Georgia

Barney is an unincorporated community located in the northeast of Brooks County, Georgia, United States. Barneys major highways are 122 that goes through Thomasville, Pattern, Pavo, Barney, Hahira, and Lakeland. The other one is highway 76 or Ade ...

Barney, Georgia

Barney is an unincorporated community in Brooks County, Georgia, United States. The community is located at the junction of state routes 76 and 122, 4.6 miles north of Morven. Barney has a post office with ZIP code 31625.

Barrettsville, Georgia

A post office called Barrettsville was established in 1835, and remained in operation until 1911. J. M. Barrett, an early postmaster, most likely gave the community his last name. In 1900, the community had 219 inhabitants.

Bartram Educational Forest

Bartram Educational Forest is an educational program component of the Baldwin Forest, a 2.113-acre state forest in Baldwin County, Georgia, United States. The forest was named in honor of naturalists John Bartram and his son William Bartram. It i ...

Bastonville, Georgia

A post office was established at Bastonville from 1890, and remained in operation until 1902. Nathan T. Baston, an early postmaster, gave the community his last name.

Bath, Georgia

The community was so named on account of a mineral spa near the original town site. An early variant name was "Richmond Baths". A post office called Bath was established in 1854, and remained in operation until 1907. In 1900, the community had 10 ...

Baugh Mountain

Baugh Mountain is a summit in Gordon County, Georgia. With an elevation of 1.138 feet, Baugh Mountain is the 802nd highest summit in the state of Georgia. Mountain Bo was named for John Bau, the first white settler in the valley of the sugar.

Baughville, Georgia

A post office called Baughville was established in 1888, and remained in operation until 1905. The community was located inland away from railroad lines.

Beachton, Georgia

Beachton is an unincorporated community in Grady County, Georgia, United States. It is the location of Susina Plantation, which is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

Bear Mountain (Georgia)

Bear Mountain is a mountain located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, southwest of Waleska, Georgia. Situated between the northwest and west-central part of Cherokee County, Georgia, it is the highest point in the county at 2.307 fee ...

Beards Creek, Georgia

A post office called Beards Creek was established in 1853, and remained in operation until 1915. The community takes its name from nearby Beards Creek.

Beaverdale, Georgia

The community was named after the North American beaver. A post office called Beaverdale was established in 1873, and remained in operation until 1909. In 1900, the community had 60 inhabitants.

Beech Hill, Georgia

A variant name was "Beechhill". A post office called Beech Hill was established in 1889, and remained in operation until 1912. The community had a depot on the Central of Georgia Railroad.

Belfast, Georgia

Belfast is an unincorporated community in Bryan County, Georgia, United States. It is part of Savannah–Hinesville–Statesboro Combined Statistical Area.

Belle Ville

Belle Ville was a settlement of African Americans established in McIntosh County, Georgia during the Reconstruction Era after the U.S. Civil War. It was established by Tunis Campbell who bought 1.250 acres of land in the area after the war.

Bellview, Georgia

A variant name was "Bait". A post office called Bait was established in 1887, and remained in operation until 1907. In 1900, the community had 27 inhabitants.

Belmont, Georgia

A variant spelling was "Bellmont". A post office called "Bellmont was established in 1886, and remained in operation until 1908. In 1900, the community had 90 inhabitants.

Bender, Georgia

A post office called Bender was established in 1891, and remained in operation until 1905. The community had a depot on the Macon, Dublin and Savannah Railroad.

Benevolence, Georgia

The first settlement at Benevolence was made in 1831. Benevolence was so named for the "benevolent" act of a first settler who donated land at the town site so that a Baptist church could be built. A post office called Benevolence was established ...

Berner, Georgia

A variant name was "Frankville". The present name is after one Colonel Bob Berner. A post office called Frankville was established in 1882, the name was changed to Berner in 1896, and the post office closed in 1957. The community had a depot on t ...

Berryton, Georgia

Berryton was originally called "Raccoon" after a local textile mill of the same name. A post office called Berryton was established in 1910, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1956. The present name is after John Berry, propri ...

Beverly, Georgia

A post office called Beverly was established in 1897, and remained in operation until 1908. The community was named after Beverly Allen, the proprietor of a local tavern. An act of the Georgia General Assembly to incorporate Beverly in 1907 was r ...

Bickley, Georgia

Bickley is an unincorporated community in Ware County, Georgia, United States. It is located northwest of Waycross and is south of Nicholls, Georgia in Coffee County. Bickley is an agricultural community.

Big John Dick Mountain

Big John Dick Mountain is a summit in Fannin County, Georgia, in the United States. With an elevation of 3.278 feet, Big John Dick Mountain is the 196th tallest mountain in Georgia. The mountain is 11 km 18 km South-South-East of Morganton. Bento ...

Bill Arp, Georgia

Bill Arp is an unincorporated community in Douglas County, Georgia, United States. The nearby communities are Winston and Douglasville. A post office called Billarp was established in 1885 and remained in operation until 1907. The community has a ...

Birdsville, Georgia

Birdsville is an unincorporated community in Jenkins County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. Birdsville Plantation, an estate listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is located in the community.

Black Creek, Georgia

Black Creek is an unincorporated community in Bryan County, Georgia, United States. It is located along U.S. Route 280, 2 miles southwest of Interstate 16 and 9 miles northeast of Pembroke. Black Creek is the location of the arms manufacturer Dan ...

Blackjack Mountain (Carroll County, Georgia)

Blackjack Mountain is a scenic landmark, located in the very southwest corner of Carroll County, Georgia on the Georgia-Alabama border and Heard County line. The nearest city is Ephesus, Georgia, 2.2 miles to the south. For other mountains with t ...

Blackwood, Georgia

A post office called Blackwood was established in 1884, and remained in operation until being discontinued in 1901. Blackwood was named in honor of a Native American Indian chief.

Blaine, Georgia

A variant name was "Old Talking Rock". A post office called Blaine was established in 1889, and remained in operation until 1917. The community was named after James G. Blaine 1830–1893, an American politician and Speaker of the United States Hou ...

Blanton, Georgia

Blanton was laid out in 1896, and named after J. N. Blanton, an original owner of the site. A post office called Blanton was established in 1899, and remained in operation until 1918. A variant name was "Blanton Station". In 1900, the community h ...

Blitch, Georgia

A post office called Blitch was established in 1880, and remained in operation until 1919. W. H. Blitch, an early postmaster and local merchant, most likely gave the community his last name. In 1900, the community had 51 inhabitants.

Blitchton, Georgia

Blitchton is an unincorporated community in Bryan County, Georgia, United States. It is part of Savannah–Hinesville–Statesboro Combined Statistical Area. Blitchton is located about 25 miles west of Savannah, Georgia, and 2 miles northeast of Inte ...

Blossom Hill (Georgia)

Blossom Hill is a summit in Rome, Georgia. With an elevation of 784 feet, Blossom Hill is the 901st highest summit in the state of Georgia. It is considered to be one of the Seven Hills of Rome, Georgia. Jackson Hill is located about 0.3 miles so ...

Blount, Georgia

The community was named after James Henderson Blount 1837–1903, U.S. congressman from Georgia. A post office called Blount was established in 1887, and remained in operation until 1906. In 1900, the community had 57 inhabitants.