ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 28

Millwood, Georgia

Millwood is an unincorporated community in Ware County, Georgia, United States, located west of Waycross. The community is part of the Waycross Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Mimsville, Georgia

The first permanent settlement at Mimsville was made about 1880. A post office called Mimsville was established in 1884, and remained in operation until 1914. The community was named after Robert L. Mims, a local storekeeper.

Mineola, Georgia

A post office called Mineola was established in 1889, and remained in operation until 1920. "Mineola" is a name derived from an unidentified Native American language meaning "much water".

Mistletoe Corners, Georgia

Mistletoe Corners is an unincorporated community in Columbia County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The community lends its name to nearby Mistletoe State Park.

Montevideo, Georgia

A post office called Montevideo was established in 1857, and remained in operation until 1903. The communitys name is a transfer from Montevideo, in Uruguay.

Morganville, Georgia

A post office called Morganville was established in 1866, and remained in operation until 1913. The community was named after the local Morgan family of settlers.

Mount Pleasant, Wayne County, Georgia

A post office called Mount Pleasant was established in 1855, and remained in operation until 1948. Despite its commendatory name, Mount Pleasant is situated in a flat area.

Mountain Hill, Georgia

A post office called Mountain Hill was established in 1853, and remained in operation until 1904. According to tradition, the community was so named because a first settler liked mountains. A variant name was "Talleytown".

Mountain Scene, Georgia

A post office called Mountain Scene was established in 1857, and remained in operation until 1914. The community was so named from the scenery of the original town site.

Moxley, Georgia

A post office called Moxley was established in 1881, and remained in operation until 1914. The community was named after B. J. Moxley, the proprietor of a local gristmill and country store.

Mulberry Grove, Georgia

A post office called Mulberry Grove was established in 1831, and remained in operation until 1904. The community was named for mulberry trees near the original town site.

Mulberry, Georgia

A post office called Mulberry was established in 1838, and remained in operation until 1914. The community was named for mulberry trees near the original town site.

Munnerlyn, Georgia

A post office called Munnerlyn was established in 1880, and remained in operation until 1960. It is unclear whether the community is named after Colonel John D. Munnerlyn, a local attorney, or after Charles James Munnerlyn, a Georgia politician. ...

Murrays Crossroads, Georgia

Murrays Crossroads is an unincorporated community in Schley County, Georgia, United States. It lies at the intersection of U.S. Route 19 with State Route 240, to the north of the city of Ellaville, the county seat of Schley County. Murrays Crossr ...

Murrayville, Georgia

Murrayville is an unincorporated community in Hall County, Georgia, United States. The community is located along Georgia State Route 60, 9.6 miles north-northwest of Gainesville. Murrayville has a post office with ZIP code 30564. Community name ...

Nameless, Georgia

The towns name of Nameless was selected when all other names submitted to postal authorities were rejected. A post office was then established as Nameless in 1886, and remained in operation until being discontinued in 1901.

Naomi, Georgia

A post office called Naomi was established in 1856, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1904. The community took its name after a local church which was named for the biblical Naomi.

Napier Gap

Napier Gap is a gap in Catoosa County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. Family Napier continued to keep this space, which was named after them.

Narrows, Georgia

Narrows is an unincorporated community in Banks County, Georgia, United States. It is located on Georgia State Route 105, approximately four miles southeast of Baldwin. Narrows Ty Cobb was born. Roadside sign describes the Original location in th ...

Neal, Georgia

Neal was originally named Williamsville, the present name, after landowner H. B. Neal, was adopted when the railroad was extended to the area. A post office called Neal was established in 1886, and remained in operation until 1929.

Nebo, Georgia

Nebo is an unincorporated community in Paulding County, Georgia, United States, located at the crossroads of Nebo Road and Dallas Nebo Road near the cities of Dallas and Hiram.

New Holland, Georgia

New Holland is an unincorporated community in Hall County, Georgia, United States. New Holland was constructed by the Pacolet Manufacturing Company in the 1890s and consisted of several hundred homes for workers in the Pacolet Cotton Mill. A cent ...

New Hope, Early County, Georgia

The first permanent settlement at New Hope was made ca. 1860. The post office at New Hope was called "Fitzhugh". This post office was in operation from 1898 until 1902.

New Switzerland, Georgia

A post office called New Switzerland was established in 1882, and remained in operation until 1889. The community was named after Switzerland, the native land of a large share of the first settlers.

New Town, Georgia

New Town is an unincorporated community in Gordon County, Georgia, United States, located northeast of Calhoun. New Town is near the New Echota historic site, which was formerly part of the Cherokee Nation. Ashworth Middle School and Gordon Centr ...

Neyami, Georgia

A variant name was "Adams". The community had about 30 inhabitants in 1900. A post office called Adams was established in 1897, and remained in operation until 1925. The current name comes from the first two letters of the names of the three subd ...

Nicholasville, Georgia

A variant name was "Nickelville". According to tradition, the community was first called "Nickelville" because whiskey drinks were sold at the local country store for just one nickel.

Noah, Georgia

A post office called Noah was established in 1885, and remained in operation until 1908. The community was named after Noah, a character in the Hebrew Bible.

Noonday Creek Trail

The Noonday Creek Multi-Use Trail in Cobb County, Georgia is a six-mile continuation of the Mountain to River Trail in Kennesaw with its south west end at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, Old 41 Highway and Stilesboro Road. Much of th ...

Normaltown

Normaltown is a neighborhood in Athens, Georgia, by the Athens Regional Medical Center and named for the State Normal School formerly located there. It was the first area of Athens to be wired for electricity after the completion of the Mitchell ...

North Georgia mountains

The Georgia Mountains Region or North Georgia mountains or Northeast Georgia is an area that starts in the northeast corner of Georgia, United States, and spreads in a westerly direction. The mountains in this region are in the Blue Ridge mountai ...

North Ormewood Park

North Ormewood Park is a neighborhood on the east side of Atlanta, Georgia, United States, located in the northern part of Ormewood Park. It is located between Reynoldstown, East Atlanta and Grant Park and adjacent to the mixed-use development Gl ...

North Villa Rica Commercial Historic District

The North Villa Rica Commercial Historic District in Villa Rica, Georgia, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 2002. The original application included eighteen buildings spread out over several blocks. The buildin ...

Oak Grove, Georgia

Oak Grove, population: 11.793 is the unincorporated community surrounding the area of southern Cherokee County, Georgia, United States, near the intersection of Bells Ferry Road and Georgia 92. Some maps instead center it at 92 and Wade Green Roa ...

Oakfield, Georgia

Oakfield is an unincorporated community in Worth County, Georgia, United States. The community is on Georgia State Route 300 in the countys far northwestern portion, 4.8 miles southwest of Warwick. Oakfield has a post office with ZIP code 31772. ...

Old Damascus, Georgia

Variant names are "Damascus" and "Old Town". The community was named after Damascus, in Syria. This was originally the only Damascus in the area. When construction of the railroad bypassed Old Damascus, most of the town moved to nearby "new" Dama ...

Old Hell Lake

Old Hell Lake is a lake in Long County, Georgia, United States. The name was collected by the United States Geological Survey between 1976 and 1979 and entered into the Geographic Names Information System on September 25, 1979.

Old Shorter Hill

Old Shorter Hill is a summit in Rome, Georgia. With an elevation of 676 feet, Old Shorter Hill is the 910th highest summit in the US state of Georgia. It is considered to be one of the Seven Hills of Rome, Georgia. The hill was originally known a ...

Olympia, Georgia

A post office called Olympia was established in 1898, and remained in operation until 1916. The community derives its name from Mount Olympus, in Greece.

Oostanaula, Georgia

A post office called Oostanaula was established in 1881, and remained in operation until being discontinued in 1920. Oostanaula is a name derived from the Cherokee language meaning "shoally river".

Otter Creek, Georgia

Otter Creek is a small unincorporated community in Pierce County, Georgia, United States, separating the cities of Patterson and Blackshear. The community includes a volunteer fire department, community center, and a popular restaurant also named ...

Ousley, Georgia

The community was named after Joseph and William H. Ousley, pioneer citizens. A post office called Ousley was established in 1866, and remained in operation until 1954.

Owensbyville, Georgia

A post office called Owensbyville was established in 1875, and remained in operation until 1909. John M. Owensby, an early postmaster, gave the community his last name.

Paces, Atlanta

Paces is a neighborhood of Atlanta. It is part of the Buckhead district and located in the far northwest corner of the city. Paces is bounded on the northwest by the Chattahoochee River, which is also the Cobb/Fulton county line. Just across the ...

Paoli, Georgia

A post office called Paoli was established in 1854, and remained in operation until 1903. The communitys name is a transfer from Paoli, Pennsylvania. The Paoli historic district, around the intersection of County roads 334 and 331, was added to t ...

Paramore Hill, Georgia

Paramore was the name of an early settler. A variant name was "Paramore". A post office called Parramore Hill was established in 1868, the name was changed to Parramore in 1881, and the post office closed in 1900.

Parkertown, Georgia

Parkertown was established in 1832, and named after Joseph A. Parker, a pioneer citizen. Variant names were "Parker" and "Parkers Store". A post office called Parkers Store was established in 1837, and remained in operation until 1906. A mill onc ...

Patten, Georgia

A post office called Patten was established in 1884, and remained in operation until 1907. It is unknown why the name "Patten" was applied to this place. The Georgia General Assembly enabled Patten in the city in 1907 towns town Charter was repea ...

Pecan City, Georgia

A post office called Pecan City was established in 1911, and remained in operation until 1912. The community was so named on account of its location in a pecan-growing district.

Pecan, Georgia

A post office called Pecan was established in 1889, and remained in operation until 1906. Pecan is located within a pecan-growing region, hence the name.